Your County Government Community
Kids & Families
Environment Public Safety Jobs

About HHSA
All Services A-Z
Event Schedule
News Releases
Advisory Boards
Search HHSA

Related Links

How To Apply
Welfare to Work
Resource Guide
Tiger Team
Child Care Services
Career Fair 2008
Cal Learn
Direct Deposit - EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer)
Other Services
CalWORKs Program Guide


Printer Friendly
Font Size Extra Large Font Size Large Font Size Default

For more information send us an email.

CalWORKs is designed to transition people from welfare to work. It provides temporary cash assistance to eligible families with minor children, to move families with children from dependency to self-sufficiency through employment.

Services offered by CalWORKs:

Facilities where this Service is offered:



To be eligible for the CalWORKs Program in San Diego you must meet the following requirements:

  • Have age qualified dependent children (up to 18 years of age)
  • Have dependent children who lack the parental support and care as a result of one or both parents being absent, deceased, incapacitated or unemployed
  • Be a resident of San Diego County
  • Be a U.S. Citizen, Legal Permanent Resident or other specific non-citizen
  • Have valid photo identification (ID), such as a California driver's license or ID card
  • Have a Social Security Number (SSN) or proof of application for SSN
  • Have school age children enrolled and attending school
  • Have current immunization records for children below the age of 6
  • Your personal property cannot exceed $2,000 (or $3,000 for families who have a member age 60 or older)
  • Your income (earned and unearned) must not exceed program limits
  • You must meet program requirements


How to Complete the Quarterly Eligibility/Status Report (QR 7)

The Quarterly Eligibility/Status Report QR 7, also known as the QR 7 is a form all recipients of CalWORKs (cash aid) and some CalFresh households must complete, sign and send to the County, along with verifications, every quarter in order to maintain eligibility to CalWORKs and/or CalFresh.

New State Law Rules In CalWORKs Starting July 1, 2011

As of July 1, 2011, there are new rules in the CalWORKs program that may change your cash aid:

  • Eight Percent Maximum Aid Payment (MAP) Reduction
  • CalWORKs 48-month Time Limit
  • Incremental Grant Reductions (IGR) for Certain Child-Only Cases
  • Changes to the Earned Income Disregard
  • Changes to the Cal-Learn Program
  • Changes to the Mental Health and Substance Abuse Funding
  • Changes to Subsidized Employment Program
  • Extension and Expansion of the CalWORKs Short-Term Changes and Reengagement Strategies Workgroup
  • CalWORKs Long-Term Reforms (LTRs)
  • CalWORKs Child Care Changes

 How To Apply

To apply for CalWORKs, you must go in person to the local Family Resource Center that accepts applications for the CalWORKs program. To locate the nearest office, SELECT A FACILITY listed above. You can also obtain office locations by zip code. If you are homeless, use the zip code of the area where you sleep the majority of the time.


For more information send us an email.